Monday, February 9, 2009

A failure to communicate

I taught Precept tonight. Hebrews, chapter 1. It was a crazy week, but by the grace of God I finished my lesson and got a lesson plan ready before today. I get to class tonight, fighting off the nervous jitters, and start the lesson. Everything starts out ok, but as soon as I get to days four and five, I'm astonished. Days 4 and 5 were about the humanity of Christ, really, and were an in-depth study into the words "begotten" and "firstborn" in regards to Jesus. I start with the first questions, have people read scripture, and....nothing. Silence. Blank stares. Confused people. I feel like a failure!

I dismiss the panic setting in, and move on to the next questions. I explain stuff, ask questions....nothing. ARGGGHHH! No one is understanding. Moving on to "firstborn" and assuring everyone that I was also still struggling at this point, we go over more scripture and the greek meaning for the word "firstborn". At this point, I can sense people are starting to get frustrated, because they can tell from me that they should be coming to some conclusion, but they're not. And I'm thinking, "Lord, please help me!"

So we come to the end, and I share with them the payoff, the big conclusion statement. The whole room shifts. I can hear people's brains click. Their faces melt from confusion and irritation to sort of a spaced out, blank stare, because the wheels are moving. Hesitated questions start coming, to confirm what is going through their heads. I read the statement 2 more times, and promise to type it up and bring everyone a copy. PHEW!!! That was close! Thanks be to God, it wasn't a total loss tonight.

Now in case you were wondering, I'll go ahead and share with you the closing statement. It's a doosey, so be sure to sit down before you read it:

That while the divine nature made Jesus perfect, eternal, and uncreated, His flesh had to be made perfect, and was begotten fully at His resurrection (perfection), and that in both His divine and created being He is over all that is created and the first to be perfected.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I read it three times.


HUH?

LOL!

Brooke said...

Wow...that's meaty and good stuff! We had a lady that goes to our church tell us how wonderful you are doing! Praise God He is raising up a young generation to teach the depths of His Word! Way to be faithful! Keep up the good work!