Sunday, August 3, 2008

Mistakes were made, lessons learned

Well, another week is done, and as usual, this weekend was gone in a flash. Another week is just about to start, and all the things I hoped to accomplish last week, but failed miserably to do, now have another chance to get done. I actually dread right now, just before bed on a Sunday night. Not because of where I have to go tomorrow, but because of where I don't get to be. I'm one of the few that actually likes my job, I like where I work, I like who I work with. But I don't get to be with my wife and my kids, and that stinks. But do everything as unto the Lord, right?

Speaking of which, right now we are doing an 8 week study on "other religions" in our church class (Sunday school?). Today was on atheism, and I taught. I thought it went pretty well, though I was getting quite a few blank stares during the lesson (that is actually more common for me than I think is normal). We did end up having a good discussion once we started talking about evolution, probably because there is more to talk about with evolution than there is about atheism. At least according to my brother. But what I kind of realized while preparing, at least in a less vague way, is that atheism is just a fancy word for rebellion. Because that's really all people are doing when they live as an atheist, they are rebelling against God. They may say they have a reason, or maybe not, but in the end that's all it is. They don't think they should be held accountable to someone who is capable of holding them accountable for everything they've ever done, and deep down think they don't deserve it. They just take God from the #1 spot and put themselves there. The Bible calls that a "fool".

The more notes I took about this, the more I wondered why this doesn't get talked about a lot. We talk about how people can have their own opinions and it's no big deal, but it is. It is the biggest deal there is! People who reject God are in serious peril, and we all coast through life like there will always be tomorrow, Christians and non-Christians. God never promises tomorrow. He could return tonight. You could die tonight. The person you care about could die tomorrow morning. Nothing is certain. The only thing that matters is what you do with the man they call Jesus. I can think of people that I haven't seen for years, and I wonder where they are in their lives right now. I think about all the people I could possibly reach if I ever finished my "ark". God willing I do before time is up. But if I don't, will God still say to me "well done, good and faithful servant"? Or will He say "you know, you were awfully lazy". I feel like the latter on Sunday nights like this.

Wow, apparently I'm in "deep thoughts" mode, cause that's like 10 pages I just wrote. Guess I should stop now. For those that didn't stop reading before now, I'm sorry. I really like hearing "your blog is funny" from those that have read previous ones, but now I'm gonna hear "your blog made my eyes cramp from reading so much, you big jerk". So here is my vow, that my next post will be light-hearted and full of jest. Unless my hamster dies and I post about it*. See? See what I did there? I said I'd let it lie, but I didn't. Anyway I guess lesson learned, if I do this more frequently, I won't be compelled to ramble in one giant post like this.

* I don't have a hamster.

5 comments:

Carrie said...

Rebellion. You know, I may be riding on God's grace, but I'm still full of rebellion. Full. I am no better than an atheist. The only difference between me and the atheist is that I trust Jesus to wash me clean from my rebellion before I'm presented before God on judgement day. And THAT, my friend, is a dose of humility.

And as a side note: I could always do without the term "verbal diarhea." Please refrain from using it in the future. :)

Nic said...

I think that is a fine line you walk when you say that. You may not feel like you're better, but you are indwelt with the Holy Spirit. Christ's righteousness has been imparted to you. He intercedes for you constantly. You are at peace with God, because you have been reconciled to Him. You are not in open rebellion to God. God won't see you clean on judgment day, He sees you clean now. And to me, THAT is even more humbling, because it's infinitely more than I deserve, but it's what I get as a child of God.

Side note: fixed. Noted. :)

Carrie said...

LOL! You don't have to get technical on me! You know what I mean! I may not have the "ultimate" rebellion, but my flesh rebels against the Spirit on a continual basis.

Is it not also a fine line to say that you are better because you're indwelt with the Spirit? I'm saved, not better.

Nic said...

Maybe we are arguing semantics here, I just don't think believers "rebel" against God anymore. That carries with it a "war" kind of mentality. You know, like Star Wars. We may make bad decisions, and decide to listen to our nature instead of the Spirit, and yes, that's sin. But we humble ourselves and repent from our sin, while a rebel shakes his fist in the air.

Also, the "better" I was talking about was more from a spiritual perspective. Dead vs. alive. I'd say alive is "better", but it's nothing to get snobby about, if that's what you are thinking. It's all by grace, so that no one may boast.

Carrie said...

We're good at arguing semantics, so we'll leave it at that, huh?

Are you coming home, yet?